Saturday, March 19, 2011

Canyonlands Half Marathon March 19, 2011

wow where do I start!!
Wendy, Hayley and I left Salt Lake about noon for our 4 hour drive to Moab, Ut. I really don't know what time we got there but we met up with JaNae at the gas station so she could come with us to the expo. Then we walked through the race expo and picked up our bibs, looked at all the fun stuff at the expo! Then we went to the race finish area so Hayley could talk to the head guy. then we headed to dinner at Pasta Joes. Thank goodness Wendy and I shared a plate cuz it was HUGE!! We then headed over to Wendy's friend Trudy's house and crashed there for the night. I think I might have gotten 2 hours sleep :( It was a bad night. Got up at 6:45 and Went and picked up JaNae Laura and Lisa, Wendy and Hayley dropped us off at the bus loading and we waited for their friend Ann (who you will hear more about in the future).

We got on our bus and headed up the canyon. It was sooo windy and chilly!! While we waited we took pictures (I hope are sent to me!) and when it was time we took off our warm clothes and headed to the start line. we waited a little longer and the wind was much worse up there! finally (we were a ways back) but the line started moving forward! EEK! It was happening, my second 1/2 marathon! the thing I wanted most for my birthday!! haha! Off we went! My goal was to finish in 2:10:00. My first half I did in about 2:25:00. that was 15 minutes off my first time! that is huge! it was 7 months ago. I ran I felt soo good I couldn't believe my pace I was keeping I would often look at my watch and see low 9m/m. If I looked down and saw anything over 10 I would speed up. I took gel at the start line, mile 6 and mine 10. I took Gatorade at 4 and 8. water all along the way. I chewed gum most the way too. At mile 9 I started to hear the drums so I took my head phones out and looked around me! I listened to the drums (that were echoing through the canyon) and thought about the people that must have lived here millions of years ago. It is such a beautiful state we live in. I am soo grateful for the opportunity to live here and be this close to the land. As I ran out of the canyon and came upon the drums it was so neat!!
Right after I passed them Lisa came up and smacked my butt and said let's do this!! Let's finish in under 2 hours! that would mean 2 1/2 miles in under 18 minutes. I had a really bad side ache (which I rarely get) and I just couldn't- I should have taken a gel. I really should have to finish. I thought I could finish by 2:05:00. so she helped me over come the side stitch and we sped up but it came back and I had to slow down again :( She ran ahead and I lost her. I gave everything I had to finish. I could barely make it to the finish line. but I did!! I beat my goal time! I came across the line and Hayley yelled for me so I went to her. she took a couple pictures, she showed me Wendy was and I walked over to here. I almost passed out when I got to her so I sat down in her chair! after a few minutes I needed to get something in my body so I went to the food tent. by then everyone in our group of girls was across the line. So we all went to the food tent together. We walked over and got our bags and then Ann left with her husband. We walked around trying to find Laura's husband and family and I lost them when I went to throw something away. so I walked back over to Wendy, decided to use the bathroom and found them again said our goodbyes they were heading to their hotels. I walked around the after race expo then Wendy and Hayley found me, they were done with their shift so we walked around for about 10 minutes and decided to go. We drove home. It hardly seemed like we were there. I love that place! I wish I could have stayed longer and played but I needed to get back. I am so grateful for my Don who supports my running! I wished he was there, I always do at the finish line.

my race results:
Overall-1625/3361
females 35-39 136/386
All female-757/2021
gun time 02:10:53.
pace 00:09:47.
chip time 02:08:19. (my watch said 2:08:13)

F 36 F35-39 bib number-3586 WEST JORDAN

No comments:

Post a Comment