Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ogden Marathon!!!

WOOHOOO!!!!! Is it ok to start with that??

Well when I ran Salt Lake I really wanted to finish in 4:30 but with the leg cramps and all it just wasn't possible so I set out on that goal again today...I did it!!

I didn't have a good long run between the races till last week and I hoped it wasn't too close to the actual race. I ran good this week, hydrated and carb loaded, um ya who doesn't love carb's!! they are my absolute fave!! Was gonna have someone pick up our packets (mine and Don's) but the opportunity rose for me to hitch a ride with someone so I took it! We headed up last night to pick them up and then came right back and I really wanted to go to bed at that point but I decided to take Cora and her friend to get a movie and candy. I went and laid down on my bed but heard Don a calling so I went out and helped him work on his engine for his '56 Ford. Finally came in the house around 9:30 and took a shower and laid in bed till he came in and lights were out at 10:30. Surprisingly I slept good again.. I woke up about 10 minutes before the alarm was set to go off. We got up-when it went off and after a snooze... and headed over to get Melissa, stopped to get gas-my bad, and headed to get my sister Wendy. Melissa and I were dropped off to meet up with some friends but got the wrong ones ;) we headed over to the buses and met up with JaNae and I also saw my neighbor Yvonne and her sis Yvette. I honestly didn't even feel nervous this morning! I thought it was weird!!

OK so on the bus as soon as we get moving I thought the bus driver was falling asleep because he was rolling his head but We are pretty sure he had turrets or something cause he twitched and moved the whole way up there. It was scary some times.. but we survived the ride and got to the start line! Met up with Yvonne and Yvette again and then headed to the start after a potty break.

I promised myself I wouldn't ruin it by starting off too fast like last year so I took it easy and ran with the 4:30 pacer. I love when a pacer encourages walking and drinking at the water stops. SL they ran right through!! I did end up getting ahead of the pacer at one of the water stops and didn't see them again till later in the race. Even though I tried to take it easy I still worried I was going too fast but kept at the pace because it was comfortable. I walked through all of the water stops and because I ran the course last year I knew the parts that would be easy and the ones that would be hard. I did walk a little bit up the big hill but I was a few minutes ahead my pace chart I knew it would be ok for a breather. When we got to the top there was a water stop with sponges to I wet my neck and kept plugging along (mile 14). Finally we were over the hill climbs and I kicked it back into a comfy pace and took teh down hill with ease. I knew it would be mostly downhill till mile 23. I took advantage of the gravity and let it guide me down. Mile 23 I just wanted to be done, my legs were starting to hurt and I was so tired. I walked a little bit and the pacer caught me. About the same place I was caught last year by the pacer. This time I wasn't gonna let the pacer over take me. I got a gu and some water put on a great song and went for it. I didn't see them again (except when I looked back)!
I was starting to struggle again and had texted Don hoping eh would come help me. I saw a guy in a black tank top and thought gosh what is Don wearing!! I remembered and looked up and saw him far off in the distance running toward me, I was sooo happy to see him. I needed him to get me through those last 2 miles! Sadly he had to listen to me grunt and cry under my breath. It is so painful when you are soo close but so tired and exhausted, not to mention in pain. The toll a marathon takes on a body is so hard! Finally we came around and he said there it is the Finish. WAY DOWN the street I could see a little glimmer of white that was a tent. I tried so hard but had to stop and walk again. I turned around to see how close 4:30 was he was about 200 yards behind me so I walked for a bit and we talked to the guy next to us then I said we gotta go and I ran oh I tried to run, I did. Finally I could read the finish I scanned for the clock. Don got out of the corral cause they won't let him finish with me. the cheers of the crowd get to you, you know. I finally saw the clock and it said 4:29:?? and I almost cried!!! I was gonna do it!!! I was gonna make my goal!! Oh My Gosh! I can't believe I made it!!

I was finally done!!! I could still walk! I got my beautiful medal! I could still walk! I was feeling good! The other marathons I had done I just wanted to go home I was miserable. I walked through the runners area and got a water, bread, little veggie smoothie, chocolate milk. gosh I could have used a bag!! I ate the bread and drank some water, had some of the smoothie, drank down my choc milk. Don hopped the fence and came into the runners area and we sat down and took a couple pictures and talked. I looked at my phone and noticed a missed call from Yvonne, I was like what the heck? so I called her back. She had been taken off the course because she got sick, low on oxygen. :( I wanted to cry with her!!

We sat for a while and then went and met up with Wendy and headed home. I was walking on clouds with my time! Honestly this time last year I didn't think this was possible!!

So now in 3 weeks I will run Utah Valley, I will go in again with a happy positive attitude. Running 3 marathons in 60 days=Marathon Maniac.. I am just planning to run it easy and in less than 5 hours nothing huge like this one. but maybe if I am feeling good I will go for it.. I just don't know!






1 comment:

  1. Great post! So SOO SOOO happy for you! Hey will you send me the pic of us at the start? I am writing up my post now : )

    Congrats you maniac!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete